Jessica Mulroney’s TV show cancelled after host called out on ‘textbook white privilege’

Lifestyle

CTV has announced the removal of Jessica Mulroney’s reality show I Do, Redo from its airwaves, saying the recent conduct of the host conflicts with the broadcaster’s “commitment to diversity and equality.”


READ MORE:
Woman called police on a Black man in Central Park, then she was fired

The news comes a day after writer and influencer Sasha Exeter accused Mulroney of trying to threaten her livelihood.

Exeter, who is Black, likened the recent incident to an “Amy Cooper” experience, in reference to the woman in New York who called the police on a Black man who was bird-watching.

Exeter, who is behind the lifestyle website So Sasha, said Mulroney took offence to Exeter’s recent call for people with large public followings to use their platforms to speak out against racism.

Story continues below advertisement

“What happened next was a series of very problematic behaviour and antics that ultimately resulted in her sending me a threat in writing last Wednesday, June 3,” she said in an Instagram post.


READ MORE:
Want to support Black people? Stop talking, start listening

Exeter said she was not calling Mulroney racist but said she is “very well aware” of her wealth and power, along with the privilege she is afforded due to her skin colour.

“And that, my friends, gave her the momentary confidence to come for my livelihood in writing,” she said.

Story continues below advertisement

“Textbook white privilege, really, in my personal opinion.”

She said Mulroney reached out to brands that Exeter has worked for or could in the future.

Mulroney, a stylist who is married to former prime minister Brian Mulroney’s son Ben and a close friend of Meghan Markle, issued a statement on Thursday.

Mulroney said it’s clear she has “work to do.”

“I realize more than ever how being a white privileged woman has put me far ahead of so many, and in particular those in the Black community. And while I can’t change the past, I can do my part to do better in the future.”

Story continues below advertisement

She said she has no intention of pursuing legal action against Exeter.

“I was wrong and for that I am truly sorry,” she said.

In a separate social media post earlier on Thursday, Mulroney said she and Exeter had a disagreement and Exeter “rightfully” called her out.


READ MORE:
Montreal designer creates ‘classy and elegant’ look for Jessica Mulroney at royal wedding

I Do, Redo — a 30-minute show where couples redo their wedding ceremonies — debuted this year. Content pertaining to the program appears to have been scrubbed from CTV’s website.

“Bell Media and CTV (encourage) our entire team, including our on-air talent, to practise respect, inclusivity and allyship as we pledge to work better and more openly to listen to and amplify Black voices, and not to minimize them,” the broadcaster said in a statement on Twitter.

Story continues below advertisement

© 2020 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

Products You May Like

Articles You May Like

Canada’s economy won’t recover unless marginalized groups, women helped too: report
Cara Delevingne’s Powerful Life Advice on Overcoming Depression and Anxiety (MUST WATCH)
The Choice We All Have , But Only a Few Apply It | Jordan Peterson
Why I Left Venture Capital to Start a Meditation Company
Perfectly Imperfect: How to Embrace Your Insecurities

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *